70. The Transfer Honey Trap




This was a risky game, but one she was sure she could win. Charlotte's tactics tonight had been a gamble, a little bit like playing a diamond formation in midfield, sometimes it works and wins you the game, or sometimes it leaves you exposed and found wanting, especially by a 3-man midfield. There was more than just a 3-man midfield on the dancefloor taking their turn to dance with the belle of the ball. From Charlotte's perspective as a fan, here was a team which was going nowhere but another mid-table position, lagging behind the professional teams who would dominate forever more. Maybe just maybe if some of the better ex-players who had left the club would come back to EDC then they could challenge for honours once again. Secondly there was also a tinge of guilt because it was her actions which had led to some of them leaving. Charlotte had chosen her targets carefully. She knew Maol Daravon was off limits, especially with his scowling wife in tow. Secondly any of her exes such as Keo Udom was not of interest, nor The Cambodian Pele who was also preoccupied with his own guests... Instead her recruitment "shortlist" were taking the bait. Sok Oeun Pidor was of no interest to her, other than seeing him back wearing the colours of EDC again, creating and scoring goals. The same with Um Makara, Leap Bo and Sung Rot, but the problem for Charlotte as she twerked, twirled and flirted her way around the dancefloor was how it looked to her partner and to everybody else in the room. The last thing she wanted was him or anybody else getting the wrong idea... She decided to take action. 

-------‐----‐------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If she was doing what I thought she was doing then this was crazy and also a bit wrong. I trusted my girl though that her intentions were good, albeit a bit misguided. As Crazy in Love gave way to Usher - Yeah, Charlotte sacheted off the dancefloor and I grabbed her arm as she grabbed mine and we led eachother into the hallway outside. 

"I'm doing this for you Mr Football Manager please don't be angry.." she pleaded.

"Charlotte I know exactly what you are doing.. but leave this in the hands of me and my recruitment team please. My director of football and I deal with transfers. You writhing around the dancefloor to Beyonce is not the way to sign new players."

"But I want to help the team... and I feel responsible for players leaving the club. Daravon's departure left a big hole in our defence and that's why we conceded so many goals last season and it was all because of me! I wanted to make it up to you!"

"Charlotte, players leave the club for many reasons it was not all because of you. Daravon wanted a new challenge in his life and join the police force.. You cannot blame yourself. Please just stop this nonsense! Look if it makes you happy why don't we use tonight to chat to some of the ex players and maybe put some feelers out for them to rejoin the club? How does that sound? We could do it together, work as a team."

I suggested this knowing full well that most of them would want to consult with their agents if they had or could afford one. Secondly we were at a party and nobody wanted to talk "shop." The transfer window was not due to open for another month anyway and it had been long, hard season.

Charlotte smiled. 

We will make a great team, together."

"Good"

The trap was set. Charlotte would wiggle her bum on the dancefloor and then lead her poor unsuspecting victim to a darkened seated area in the far corner, where I lurked to greet them. First up was Sung Rot..

"Sung Rot approached arm in arm with Charlotte thinking they were going somewhere a little quieter and looking rather excited by the prospect.. Bastard.. 

That is until I emerged out of the shadows like some kind of mafia boss...

"Sung Rot!" Good to see you man, I greeted my former MC/AMC/STC with a huge grin on my face.

"Now, do tell me what you are up to these days. " 

"Well I'm between clubs at the moment boss.."

"Really, how interesting!"

"Are you looking for a new club?"

"Yeah I am"

"Why don't you come train with us for a bit before we break up for end of season." (Training continued until the end of November) get your sharpness back and take it from there? No pressure on either side?"

Sung Rot nodded but also was looking around to see where the beauty in red had disappeared to.

"Great! We'll be in touch.. Can I get you a drink?"

This was easier than I thought.

The other players on Charlotte's shortlist would be a bit trickier, as they were with other clubs. Would they be open to wearing the navy blue kit of EDC again and working here at the energy company?

Um Makara was the next to be "summoned."He was a prospect who had put in some good performances for us as a holding midfielder. 

Like Daravon and Pidor he had jumped ship to join the National Police which made me even more determined to get him back.

"Boss I really hate being a policeman and the manager has only used me off the bench"

"Great.  Um, If you come back to EDC I will make you a regular starter as a ball winning midfielder. You will be the Claude Makalele to Samnang Nhem's Didier Drogba."

"And I can come back and work for the Electric company?"

"I'm sure something can be arranged.. we'll call you in the next few days. Now go enjoy yourself but keep away from the lady in red, she's taken... 

"Ok boss. "

"Good lad.. Can I get you a drink?.."

"Sok Oeun Pidor! EDC's greatest ever attacking midfielder left right centre, How are you my friend?"

Pidor had his eyes so much on the prize that I had to repeat myself.

"Sok Oeun Pidor! How are you?" as Charlotte sneaked off.

"How is life in his majesty's constabulary Sok?"

"Huh?" his eyes looking around to see where Charlotte had disappeared to.

"How's the national police force Sok?

"Oh sorry hi boss.. 

"Don't worry about her Sok, she's taken and would probably have you for breakfast.. now... how do you fancy coming back to EDC Sok? We missed you last season with your darting runs in off the left wing and that creative spark you brought to my team.."

Pidor agreed to have a word with his agent and would get back to us. He seemed keen on the idea of a return to The Electricity Stadium though as like Makara catching 
criminals in Phnom Penh really was not for him. 

The last remaining player on Charlotte's shortlist was Leap Bo, who I was the most dubious about signing. He had some potential but unlike the other three could not hold a place down in the team and his departure had not really affected us. He would only be a squad player at best on ability, but he had matured and had high leadership skills, which is something that our team lacked, a real leader on the pitch. 

Leap Bo jumped at the chance (excuse the pun) to rejoin us, as he was facing playing Second Division football with relegated Prek Pra. 

Our work done, Charlotte and I enjoyed the rest of the evening, as we danced the night away with friends past and present. 

Then, out of the blue, the music stopped and Chairman, Hem Vutha got on the mic to the surprise of everyone in the room.. Had he noticed our skulduggery in tapping up players to rejoin the club? Was he about to declare undying love for Charlotte?.. Was he drunk?

"Ladies and gentlemen.. Sorry to interrupt this wonderful evening, but there is something I would like to tell you... 

The room fell silent..

"After ten wonderful years at Electricitie Du Cambodge FC.. I have decided to step down as chairman and will put the club up for sale....! I will be seeking new investment into the club as we strive to make progress both on and off the field. I leave the club in a healthy position and exciting times are ahead for EDC under the new regime, whoever this may be. Thankyou very much!

Cue a stunned silence and a few gasps, followed by a ripple of applause around the large hall... 

Charlotte and I turned to eachother stunned.  Would I keep my job, or would any new chairman seek to install a new man at the helm as part of the takeover?.... However, if new investment in the club was made, could this lead to us turning professional?

My secondary thought was whether all our hard work this evening with potentially persuading four ex players to come back to EDC had now been in vain if they thought there may be instability at the club... Time would tell on that one..




   Will the fab four on Charlotte's shortlist re-sign for EDC, or will they be put off by the potential instability at the club? Find out next time on The Ultimate World FM Game! 















 







































Comments

Popular posts from this blog

71. Transfers and Takeovers

72. Start of Season 7

1. The Ultimate World Football Manager Game – The Set Up Part 1.