12. Staging An Intervention

 So I'll immediately put you all out of your misery... The North Koreans of Vishaka are thankfully safe, well and still on Cambodian soil... However there is a problem, a big problem which threatened the entire integrity of The Ultimate World Football Manager Game and even led me to contemplate starting the whole thing again. You see the reason why there were no North  Koreans, or their Croatian team mate, Mihaljevic in the opening game of the season for Vishaka was because there was a huge bug in the game.



It centred around the registration of players for the new C-League season, which happens during two windows, one at the end of pre-season in early March, around where we are now and the other at the end of the mid season transfer window, which is in mid-June

The end of the registration window was on 5th March 2021. While I, as the only human manager duly registered 35 players from the first team, reserves and youth team, the AI managers failed to do this. It seems on further inspection, that the bug only allowed the reserve and youth players from each team to be registered for each club in Cambodia and certainly no foreign players were included. There is a 5 foreign player limit in Cambodia, as added on the Editor by @Timo. This meant that the first teams of every club in Cambodia (except EDC) was full of unregistered players, which leads us back to why the North Koreans or Mihaljevic did not play against us in our 4-1 win. The team I beat in the first game of the season were a bunch of Vishaka youth and reserve players. No wonder the match was so easy! This however does not seem right and as a person who likes to keep FM as realistic and fair as possible I felt something had to be done to rectify the problem.



Staging An Intervention

I googled the problem and looked at some FM forums to see if the same problem had happened on other people's game and it seemed as though it had. One solution I saw was to buy the in-game editor because it had a setting which allowed players to be registered at any time on the game, thus abolishing the two windows per season. The person who suggested this said it had solved the problem on their game. The only thing stopping me was it is completely against my DNA to buy the in-game editor to alter the game. I am not one for adding a sugar daddy and winning 20 Champions Leagues with Newcastle and thinking I am the next Jose Mourinho! That is not my style of playing FM, as you can probably tell from this blog. However, in this case I saw no alternative but to give it a go. At the end of the day if I carried on the season with the bug, if I won the C-League by thrashing every other team full of kids and reserves, it would not feel right. In fact it would be like winning the Premier League with Burnley, having thrashed Liverpool without Salah, Firmino and Mane', or Man City without Sterling, Aguero and De Bruyne. 

           Registering the players


   



     

Solving The Problem

Having paid for and installed the In Game Editor I thought the best way of solving the problem instantly was to take over each team in the C-League using the Add Manager feature and set the in-game editor to allow players to be registered at any time. I then manually registered the unregistered players (including the North Koreans) myself before then retiring from each club instantly. Luckily I had an autosave file which was saved until 2nd March which enabled me to 'go back in time' in order to do this. 


The only by-product of doing it this way was that each club will start the season without a manager, but I felt in time this would sort itself out. I will also do the same process for any lower league cup opponents I get, including our Prime Minister's Cup First Qualifying Round opponents, Kampong Cham, to preserve the integrity of the tie. Unfortunately I do not have time to go round every single 2nd Division club in Cambodia to address the bug and hope over time, with the new registration settings on the in-game editor, the problem will resolve itself. 

This move enabled me to re-start the season and play a Vishaka side which included the North Koreans and Mihaljevic. Win, lose or draw at least I will know I have done the right thing and I will thankfully be able to continue with this save in a competitive manner.

Next time- I re-start the season against Vishaka's proper 1st team, foreign stars and all, plus I get my first taste of cup action in the 1st Qualifying Round of the Prime Minister's Trophy. Find out how I get on!

Click to read the next part of the story Re-Starting The Season




 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

71. Transfers and Takeovers

72. Start of Season 7

67. One big step forward and Two Steps Back.