34. Exodus!

 


 I am sat in my office and the phone has not stopped ringing. In fact, the phones have been so busy that I was even thinking of hiring some locals to take the messages, as it has become more and more like a call centre. The transfer window had swung open the week before and since then it had been a non-stop. We would like to offer a contract Udom, Rafat, Ratana, Chanraksmey, Veasna, Etim, Daravon, the man who works in the club shop, the cleaning lady, the woman in the canteen who makes a mean curry... You name it, the whole of the C-League were circling around the club and they weren't going to go away until they'd got what they wanted..

A Question of Loyalty

My two best young players, Ouch Udom and Ouk Ratana have both rejected moves away from EDC including overtures from Nagaworld. I just need to hope now that Keo Udom, Veasna and others follow the same path.

The Story of The Transfer Window 2022/23

So, I'll break this up into three parts, the players I wanted rid of, the players I didn't mind getting rid of and the players I am gutted have now left the club...

Players I Wanted Rid of..

These are the guys who I wanted to leave the club to help trim the squad numbers which was becoming a bit bloated.

Math Rottanak (released) – A decent player, but there are other strikers ahead of him in the pecking order and so he needs to move on.

Leng Sophaon (released) – This guy has been a squad player for much of his time at Prey Veng, but has become surplus to requirements and needs to play first team football elsewhere.

Sann Suhana (released) Sann was a decent player and offered us a decent passing range in midfield, but his form was inconsistent and he had no pace.. a bit of a Cambodian Jan Molby to be honest and I really dislike players who have a pace of below 5 whatever position they play.

Ouk Dara (released) Ouk Dara has been moseying around the U21s since the very start of the game, but the right winger has never really progressed, so off he goes.

Players I Didn't Mind Getting Rid of

Roeum Channroeurn Free Transfer to Khemera

It’s fair to say Roeurn Channroeurn has flattered to deceive in an EDC shirt and so when Khemera came in for him I didn’t stand in his way. It does mean we are a right back light in the squad though of which we are not over-blessed with..

Ouch Samnang free transfer to Senate Secretariat

Ouch Samnang has been with us from the start, but apart from the odd cup appearance he failed to break into the first team, despite decent potential, so off he goes to the Cambodia Second Division.

Ajoub Joly – Free Transfer to Phnom Penh Crown

I am slightly disappointed by the young Cambodian U-19s left back decision to leave the club for Phnom Penh Crown, despite his ‘rabbit caught in headlights’ performance against Khemera in the last game of the season.. He had decent potential but it is not the end of the world...

Ouk Ratha – Free Transfer to Kampot

Another one bites the dust, this time a young U21 midfielder who had some potential, but again not a disaster he has left for a Second Division side.

Players I am disappointed about leaving EDC

 Keo Udom Free Transfer to Chllam Samuth

The short figure of Keo Udom stood in the doorway of my office. My director of football, Ly Ravy was not far behind him and his agent was also there too, lurking in the shadows as agents often do.

"Come in gentlemen." I  politely greeted them, fearing the worst.

Ly Ravy spoke first.

"I'm sorry boss, but we cannot give him the contract he wants and Keo has accepted an offer from Chhlam Samuth to go and play for them."

"Chhlam Samuth? Keo, really is that the level of your ambition, mid-table makeweights?"

"They have offered him first team football boss and he wants to go."

"But Keo you can get first team football here at EDC!"

"Boss, you left me on the bench too many times.."

These words hit me hard but also had a grain of truth. Since the signing of the talented Pelap Taboula I had favoured him at times over Keo Udom, simply because I was playing a 4-2-3-1 with a lone striker. I did not feel that Keo Udom played well as a lone striker and that Taboula or Chanraksmey's games were better equipped for this role. Udom I always felt needed a strike partner to feed off with his darting runs in behind, in a way similar to someone like Jamie Vardy. Then I signed Mat Noron, who I started alongside Taboula for the final few games of the season. Whichever way I looked Keo Udom always seemed to miss out and had become a little bit of a forgotten man. He'd still managed 9 goals in the season, but this was way down on the previous season where he had bagged 20 goals and had torn C-League defences to shreds. His form had been inconsistent since, but maybe I was at fault for that for not giving him enough starts. The chickens had now come home to roost.

"Keo, you were always in my plans, it's just other players fitted our formation better."

"Boss I got 28 goals for you. I should have been the first name on the team sheet. I am sick of warming the bench. I will not be doing that at Chhlam Samuth. The team will be built around me."

With that, the entourage left my office and Keo Udom left EDC..


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ouch Udom free transfer to Solitio Angkor

The next to go was Ouch Udom, no relation. I liked this young midfielder and had earmarked him as the fulcrum of our midfield for many years to come.

This was a major blow and I was fuming when he heard the news as he was going to be a vital cog in the EDC midfield and homegrown to boot which meant the fans were disappointed. Solitio Angkor came in with a better deal and so off he went..


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Raymond Etim - Free Transfer to Chmao Khmao

The poor man's Kante was the next to head through the exit door for the bright lights of Chhmao Khmao, another promoted side who had finished lower down the table.. Although he was a regular first team starter Etim is 31 and so the decline was going to happen fairly soon. Shame I liked him, but not a complete disaster.


Seut Bairaing - Free Transfer to Chhlam Samuth 

Our captain and regular left back has followed Keo Udom and jumped ship to the lesser lights of Chhlam Samuth for some reason.. Shame. I like him and had earmarked him to be our regular left back for years to come. However, his departure may offer the opportunity for others to make this spot their own.

Pin Saren – Free Transfer to Asia Euro United

This defender did a decent job for us last term, but his head has been turned by Second Division outfit Asia Euro United..for some reason. You could still do a job for us I argued, but no off to Asia Euro he goes. Like Etim he was in his early 30s and so the decline was inevitable..

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the last week the spine of the team had been ripped out, but worse was to come. I got a knock at the door.. it was Suon Veasna and his agent...

"Boss I want to leave the club."

"Why? Suon, you are loved here by players and fans alike."

"He wants £150 per appearance, plus a £50 goal bonus and £50 assist bonus piped up his agent."

"That's impossible" I replied, thinking of how my chairman would react if I told him we had broken the bank to retain his services.

"£150 or no deal, Final offer."

I felt like I was on a game of Deal or No Deal..

"110, that;s all I can offer."

"140"

"110 with a £50 assist bonus."

"140 with a £50 assist bonus and £50 goal bonus

"No way Jose'"

"Whose interested?"

"Khemera Keila"

"F***!"

"How much they offering?"

"£150 with goal and assist bonuses"

To be fair, Khemera had finished above us in the table in 4th and so in my view could be considered one of the better teams in Cambodia. They were ambitious and like us wanted to destroy the professional monopoly of Nagaworld, Beoung Ket and Angkor Tiger.

"110, that's as far as I can go, 110 with £50 assist and I suppose a £10 goal bonus and an unused sub fee,"

"Veasna and his agent looked at eachother and shook their heads. No deal.

Veasna signed for Khmera that evening.... I was heartbroken,. Veasna was by far my favourite and best player at the club. Time and again he would dance down the right flank, or cut inside dangerously from the left and provide the creative spark for Chanraksmey, Udom, Taboula and co to feed off. A poor trainer, but on his day unplayable, even against the top sides in the league. We will now have to face him next season when we play Khemera...




Poor old EDC have had the spine ripped out their team by other ambitious Cambodian clubs. Can Rudd once more find his inner Harry Redknapp and rebuild the team, or will they end up like Vishaka, a team full of kids battling relegation.. Find out next time on The Ultimate World Football Manager Game!

Read Part 35 - Can We Fix It here









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

71. Transfers and Takeovers

72. Start of Season 7

67. One big step forward and Two Steps Back.